Unfortunately words have chosen to fail me right now, cause I have no idea how to name this dish.
It all started from pinterest. Ooooh that ohsoenticingdevil. I saw this picture one day, of this weird looking hamburger patty that was hollowed out in the middle and filled in with an egg. Now how cool is that? For someone like me who’s so anal about my hamburger patties, which we all know are spammed with all the crap fatty unwanted chicken bits, I always make my own hamburger patties. And I thought this was an absolutely brilliant and novel idea to spice up your hamburger-patty life!
Since a picture speaks a thousand words…
Ok not pretty at all I know. Looks kinda odd actually. My friend said “OHMYGOSH THAT LOOKS LIKE A HOLLOW DONUT AWWW!” Oh gosh. It’s essentially just minced chicken breast, shaped into a patty, which I later hollowed out with a glass. Pan fry it, then plop an egg into the hollowed space on the pan and cook it. Presto and that’s lunch! I sautéed some diced garlic, wolfberries (my fave babes) and diced tomatoes together with a dash of tabasco, then threw in a handful of spinach before plating so that it’ll wilt. Oh by the way, have I mentioned about my newfound love for tabasco? I’ve never tried it before cause I always associate it with oysters. Which je déteste! My friend got me to try it one day though, and ohmyohmy it’s wonderful! Sour and spicy, it’s the perfect condiment for sandwiches and vegetables! I’ve been adding them to almost all my sautéed veggies recently 😀
Back to these interesting patties, they ended up tasting rather great! The eggs were slightly overcooked though. Since I made them without a recipe, and I was a tad afraid that the minced chicken would end up being undercooked, I erred on the side of overcooking my eggs just in case. Next time I’d prolly cook it a few minutes shorter to achieve a more poached egg kinda consistency. Other than that, my only problem was in transferring the patties from the plate to the pan. Already hollowed out, these patties were dayum hard to transfer from the plate to the pan! It kept breaking apart, and my spatula just ain’t big enough to hold that entire hollowed out patty! I ended up having to reshape them the moment they landed on the pan. But alas, they survived the ordeal.
I’ve decided to call them Chicken ‘Donut’ Patties.
Chicken ‘Donut’ Patties (serves 1)
350-400g chicken breast, minced
1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon of light soy sauce
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 clove garlic, diced
1 tomato, roughly chopped
Handful of wolfberries
Dash of tobasco
Handful of spinach
1. Mix the spices and soy sauce as your marinade, then rub it all over your minced chicken like you’re giving the little chicky a massage. Put it aside for 20 minutes or so for the flavours to develop.
2. With the pan over medium heat, heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil and saute the garlic without letting it brown. Add in the chopped tomato, wolfberries, tobasco, and cook it for a few minutes till the tomatoes are slightly mushier. Toss the spinach in, take the pan off the heat and pour the contents onto your plate.
3. Clean your pan and place it over medium heat.
4. While the pan’s heating up, shape your minced chicken into 2 round patties. Using a glass, cup, can or anything with a round hollow area, cut a hole in the middle of your patties. Split the extra hollowed-out chicken among the 2 patties.
4. Heat up the remaining oil, then slowly transfer your patty to the pan. Cook it on one side for 2-3 minutes, then flip it.
5. Crack an egg into the hollowed area then put the lid on. Cook it for another 3-5 minutes, depending on how you want your eggs to be done. They’re ready when the whites are opaque.
5. Lift up the patties and place them over the wilted spinach. Serve and step into patty heaven.