During the past June Hols, I was suddenly overcame with this matcha craze and I wanted to make anything matcha. I meant everything. Yeah like I was non-stop searching for good matcha steamed cakes, brownies, lattes, and so many other recipes! So I started by making these matcha steamed cakes after seeing them on Ellena’s blog and My Kitchen.
The first one that I made turned out really dense and chewy, and totally didn’t have that fluffy steamed cake texture that I was looking for. Oh and they turned out in a shade of ugly brown. They were very nearly tasteless too. Edible, but definitely not something that I’d ever do again.
But NLTG – meaning moi The Great – will never give up! So I attempted a different recipe! This time I added more sugar than before, and a little green food colouring so that it’ll turn out greener instead of brown-ish.
And voila! It definitely turned out better than the first attempt. Way better. And it was GREEN 😀 yipee!!! Haha sadly it was still denser than I would have preferred it to be. So I guess my search for the perfect Matcha Steamed Cake isn’t over!
Japanese Steamed Matcha Cake (makes 4)
Recipe adapted from Ellena Guan’s Japanese Steamed Matcha Cake with Roasted Chestnuts
90g Top/Cake Flour
1 1/2 Teaspoon Matcha Powder
1 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
30g Caster Sugar
1 Large Egg, 60g
1 1/2 Tablespoon of Vegetable/Corn Oil
1. Sift flour, matcha and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside. At the same time, preheat a steamer/wok filled with water till boiling point.
2. Using a balloon whisk beat egg and sugar together till foamy and pale in colour before adding in oil and stir till combined.
3. Next divide the sifted flour into two batches, stir in alternately with water to form a smooth batter.
4. Spoon the cake batter evenly into 4 prepared foil/ramekins cups that are lined with paper liners.
5. Place the cups in the steamer/wok(with boiling water in it), cover and steam over high heat for about 12 – 15 minutes(depending on the size) or until a skewer inserted into one of the buns comes out clean.
Matcha Steamed Cake (makes 6)
Recipe from My Kitchen
125g cake flour
90g castor sugar
1 tbsp matcha
1 tsp baking powder
15ml cold water
1. Preheat steamer.
2. Sift together flour and matcha, then mix well with sugar in a mixing bowl. Gradually add in water and whisk until sugar is dissolved.
3. Once the steamer is preheated, dissolve baking powder with 15ml water in a small cup.
4. Stir baking powder solution into batter and mix well.
5. Transfer batter into small bowls or moulds lined with paper cases. Steam on high for 20 minutes. Do not open the steamer during steaming process, to prevent water mark on the surfaces.
I’m not exactly sure who’s recipe I made for the first and second round respectively…but I think Ellena’s was the first while My Kitchen’s was the second! 😀